Saturday 30 May 2020

Making you feel special


“Food is symbol of love when words are inadequate.”  

– Alan D. Wolfelt

From childhood I was very choosy with what I would wear and most importantly what I would eat. Hailing from a middle class traditional Bengali family, I was taught that rice and fish were to be my only close friend. While, chicken or mutton who I treated to be dearer could visit me once a month. So, in short, feeding me was almost like being at war with yourself. Until one fine sultry evening my mother discovered that my taste buds attracted something so authentic that she could not believe her eyes. Although, for a moment she felt that it was the hunger that was calling but it was on this particular day that all my five senses had got attracted to the whiff of this cuisine. Until, after a few years I again had a rendezvous with this mystery cuisine and this time my parents definitely realized that I did have some connection with them! - CHINESE!

Surprised? Shocked or Amazed? Well I am not too sure about my readers but my parents were definitely. The journey began with my then most favourite and only joint in Dubai which probably served the best of Chinese cuisine was Golden Dragon.  

It was during Durga Puja while staying at Kolkata, I had noticed that there were quite a few restaurants that had started to serve Chinese. Although my taste buds were dancing to try each one of them until my foodie friends called me up and informed that there was a new outlet that had opened at Gurusaday Road.

At first my parents were unwilling to step out in the hustle bustle of the city. Moreover, they were least interested to stand in a never-ending queue but with the help of my cousins we managed to persuade them to go. It’s a long time and I don’t exactly remember what the menu was but when I did complete our dinner, believe me or not, that was the first time I enacted the famous dialogue from Sholay, “Yeh haath mujhe de de thakur” (Thakur, give me your hands) in the most cinematic manner, because I really wanted to keep those hands who had created this wonder of a dish which tasted something that words alone can’t express. This is when I was first introduced to ‘Mainland China’. 

After having completed my higher studies in the UK, I had for the first time travelled with a team to Mumbai on an assignment.It was a summer afternoon and to add to it we had been a part of a boring conference. So, in order to compensate we decided that we very much deserved a decent meal. They say there is no sincerer love than food.  Just as we were deciding on options for a good eatery joint my friend Sunil called over. Call it coincidence or not he mentioned that there is an outlet of Mainland China in Andheri. Since, he was a Mumbaikar it did not take us too much time to find the spot.

As I entered the restaurant, for the first time it seemed as if I was entering a temple. There was a silent sound of the Chinese chimes playing in the background with pin drop silence, as diners were meticulously concentrating on doing just one thing. EATING!  We were greeted by the restaurant manager and then was asked our choice for Ala Carte or the buffet. For the very first time I was taken away with surprise when I experienced their never-ending buffet spread. After a very long time I felt so elated to know that, after all, there was a brand that exuded a hospitality far beyond international standards.

For over two months we have been in a state of lockdown and dining out is definitely not happening. So, one is just left with no choice but to sit back tight and have home food. Until one Saturday afternoon my wife was craving to have Chinese.
I had taken for granted that no restaurants would be operating for obvious reasons and hence I was about to give up the idea and go to her with a sore face. Until I saw a post on Facebook, that read, “Speciality Kitchens- Now get your favourite delicacies delivered to your doorstep”. I was not only pleasantly surprised, but truly loved the idea of how they had laid down their steps of maintaining hygienic standards. 

When you order from Mainland China the package entails the information of the temperature of the chef preparing the food, followed by the temperature of the person packing it and finally the temperature of the delivery person at the time he picks up the order from the outlet. Furthermore, there are steps mentioned in the form of a sticker pasted on the delivery bag. 


This entails the step by step procedure of opening your package in the most safe and hygienic manner.  Once you receive the package there is a FREE hand sanitizer sachet for you to sanitize yourself first before you proceed to open the package. The contents of each dish are securely stored in separate containers which are 100% Food Grade to prevent cross-contamination.  Over the years the brand has made its presence felt over continents and has now carved for itself an identity not only locally but globally too.  Having completed over 25 years in this food industry the only mission of this magnum opus of a brand has been to provide their guests with food that is authentic to its core. 

Well, as I am writing, I felt the urge of ordering food from them. It seems it has arrived and I am already getting intoxicated by the essence of the smoky feel of the  Pan-Fried Soya Garlic Noodles,  the fragrance of the Sizzling Lamb and my most 'treasured' soup, The Eight Treasured Soup (a recipe I await to smuggle from the hands of its creator!).  


As they say that there are moments, there are memories. But if there is someone who makes these moments larger than life and most importantly if its Chinese it gotta to be from just one place…. MAINLAND CHINA. Because it is all about '

'Making you feel special’. So, EAT HEALTHY & STAY SAFE!




PS: KEEP ORDERING!

No comments:

Post a Comment