Saturday 17 April 2021

Bengalis love for Paash/Kol Baalish - The Side Pillow!


Be it in a government office or a road trip, a train journey or a flight  Bengalis are known to be “accommodative sleepers”. All they need is a good hefty meal and then a peaceful hour’s rest. But, this nap has a lot pre requisites. So, let me take my readers through how a traditional Bengali bedroom would look. Normally, people use one or two pillows and leg rest, although very rarely. As you walk across a Bengali household, you would notice that the biggest room would be the bedroom and the biggest object would be the bed! We Bengalis just do not sleep or rest we celebrate it and such celebrations require certain requisites. There needs to be two fluffy pillows at the head side and another one at the leg side. Now comes the icing on the cake, let me introduce you to another object which is mandatory for every Bengali bed - The 'Paash Baalish" - or "Kol Baalish" Side Bolster Pillow.

Surprised?... Well, if you are from West Bengal, especially from Kolkata, you shouldn’t. But for those who are not used to experiencing such a sight, for them, this Bolster Side Pillow is no ordinary pillow as far Bengalis are concerned. They are sourced from the best hosiery makers, if it’s made by grandmothers it’s considered to be even more pious and eternal. Bengali’s have a lot of respect for how their bed must look like and most importantly it must be arranged in the best possible manner.  The tradition of Paash Baalish dates back to the British era when the royals used to have big fat “pillows” at all sides. In fact, the more decorated their beds and sitting arrangement would speak about their royalty. This was then passed on to the zamindars who took forward this legacy by ordering designer bolster side pillows.

As time passed on entering into the modern age, Bengali kids born in early 90’s would understand how these side pillows would act like an intoxicating object while sleeping. Saturday and Sunday mornings would never have been so rejoicing had not these objects would be there. Walking down the memory lane, I remember being in my house at Hindustan Park, while my mother would content herself to two pillows, I would on the other hand order for at least four of them along with one of these side pillows which was a must for me. Side pillows also had a nostalgic connect for me because come every winter, I


would see my grandmother neatly knitting away the covers for these side bolster pillows and then she would send them to me. D
uring my stay in the UK, I would specially order my mother to carry two Paash Baalish for me, and although it was difficult to fit in both the pillows, but there was always room for one. Today with so much of stress amongst the young generation, couples are using it so that they can maintain some distance on the bed. 

To some it might sound like it is just an ordinary object but to every Bengali it’s a matter of an emotion! So what are you waiting for just grab your side bolster because... 


HAPPY WEEKENDS 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment